Monday 15 June 2015

BUT YOU DONT NEED TO WEAR MAKEUP

The media is filled with articles telling women they don’t need to wear as much, if any, makeup, and that men actually prefer women who go for the more natural look. Look on Instagram, especially on my feed, and you’ll see the complete opposite...women so contoured, so flawless and faces so beat they could pass for drag queens. And then we have the queens as well, and nobody is telling any of them to tone down the war paint. While it strikes me that the people putting these “less makeup is the way forward” articles out there are frumpy women without a clue how to do a liquid liner flick let alone a Kim Kardashian contour, it’s more than evident that people need to just keep their personal opinions on other people’s appearance to themselves, which brings us to the subject of today’s lesson, kids.

“You’d look so much better without makeup. You don’t need it.”






This is something that comes my way on a daily basis, but that doesn’t mean it’s something I’m taking on board. For me, as a twentysomething year old man (let’s keep it vague with the age, you’re never too young to start lying about how old you are, after all), wearing makeup isn’t about trying to cover anything up or help with any insecurities, it’s about having fun and looking how I want to look. I’m not deluded enough to think I have supermodel good looks and no amount of gym time is going to give me the body of Zac Efron (gratuitous shot of Zac Efron’s body is included below, you’re welcome), but try and tell me I don’t know how to contour myself the cheekbones that genetics didn’t bless me with.




People experiment with clothes and hair all the time, so why do we find it such a big deal that in 2015 boys are finally joining in the fun with makeup? The amount of Instagram comments about how it’s not fair I can do my makeup better than most girls I see on my feed is ridiculous. Bitch I’m sure if you watched a few YouTube tutorials and stopped buying your brushes from Primark you’d do just as good. Getting featured on the Instagram page of Illamasqua, as well as on BuzzFeed, should have been such a fun experience, but comments from ignorant, chavvy girls who look like a pre-X Factor Cher Lloyd stating the obvious (I’m gay, really? Thanks for telling me, I must have missed that memo. My eyebrows are too big? So are your thighs. That cropped top was a bad decision) are of course the thing that never gets forgotten.

So what if I like to do a smoky eye or go to town on my eyebrows? It’s not something I’m doing to please anyone but myself, so why give me your opinion?  There comes a point in your life when you stop caring about what other people think, and focus on you. This is the mindset I’m currently in...like RuPaul says, “If you cant love yourself, how in the hell are you gonna love somebody else? Can I get an amen up in here?”. 




Roll your eyes, throw your shade, I don’t care anymore. This blog might be a bit self indulgent but it’s my blog and you don’t have to read it...but if you stick around there will be lots of fun with clothes, makeup and everything else that’s going on in my life.

And maybe I might even get that Zac Efron body one day as well. Too far?

Until the next time...


xoA

No comments:

Post a Comment